Hire a Contractor
- Get bids from at least three different contractors for work to be performed – make sure they have local references
- Make sure they are licensed in the State of Louisiana:
- Commercial Projects over $50,000 require state license
- Residential New Construction of Single Family Homes require state license
- Home Improvement/Remodeling over $7,500 requires a state license
- Hazardous materials or mold remediation over $1.00 requires state license
- Verify a Contractor’s License or Registration number at (225) 765-2301 or on the Louisiana State Licensing Board website.Ask to see the license and get a copy.Click here for a sample State license. Be sure to check for the State watermark.
- Anyone doing business in Orleans Parish is ALSO required to obtain an Orleans parish business license – by no means should this be assumed to be or to replace an official contractor’s license.A business license is not a contractor’s license.
- Ask for a copy of their business license.(Click here for a sample Orleans Parish business license) Then check with the Bureau of Revenue/Department of Finance at 504-658-1600 to confirm their business license is current.
- Check if they have any history of violations, complaints, etc…
- Ask for proof of insurance before a contract is signed.The contractor should have General Liability and and Worker’s Compensation Insurance.See a sample certificate of insurance here.
Find and rate contractors working locally and help our community rebuild by getting the word out about good and bad contractors. Use our Contractor Rating System (with over 500 local listings and ratings) to rate a contractor you’ve used or search for contractor reviews before you hire.
For a reliability report on a contractor, or to report a contractor, call the Better Business Bureau at 504-581-6222 or visit the Web site at www.neworleans.bbb.org.
Click “Company Reports” to see if a contractor has been reported or “File a Complaint” to report a contractor.
Tips on finding a contractor from HGTV.
Visit the website to search for a contractor online or call (225) 765-2301. (Click here for a sample State license. Be sure to check for the State watermark)