Hiring a Reputable Contractor
This checklist will help ensure that you hire a reputable contractor.
- Get bids from at least three different contractors for work to be performed – make sure they have local references
- Make sure they are licensed in the State of Louisiana:
- Commercial Projects over $50,000 require state license
- Residential New Construction of Single Family Homes require state license
- Home Improvement/Remodeling over $7,500 requires a state license
- Hazardous materials or mold remediation over $1.00 requires state license
- Verify a Contractor’s License or Registration number at (225) 765-2301 or on the Louisiana State Licensing Board website. Ask to see the license and get a copy. Click here for a sample State license. Be sure to check for the State watermark.
- Anyone doing business in Orleans Parish is ALSO required to obtain an Orleans parish business license – by no means should this be assumed to be or to replace an official contractor’s license. A business license is not a contractor’s license.
- Ask for a copy of their business license. (Click here for a sample Orleans Parish business license) Then check with the Bureau of Revenue/Department of Finance at 504-658-1600 to confirm their business license is current.
- Check if they have any history of violations, complaints, etc…
- Ask for proof of insurance before a contract is signed. The contractor should have General Liability and and Worker’s Compensation Insurance. See a sample certificate of insurance here.